Welcome to the first newsletter from the Cornell University Insect Collection! I am writing as the new Director and Curator of CUIC. I joined CUIC this year and I am thrilled to be here. As you will see in this first communication, and in future newsletters, there is much to be excited about. Whether it is the excellent research that results from our extensive scientific collection, the outstanding students we have working in the collection or the amazing diversity of specimens we oversee.

I came to Cornell University specifically because of the Cornell University Insect Collection. CUIC is among the best entomological collections in the world. I have spent my entire career associated with a museum collection in some way and I jumped at the opportunity to oversee this amazing collection that has been built by many of you reading this newsletter. For this I sincerely thank you. It is an honor to be here.

Although I have built my career studying ants, I have a deep love of all insects. I find their diversity inspiring. In my own research I have been able to travel the globe to collect and study ants and from these travels I have seen the diversity of insects in their natural habitats. I have also seen some of these habitats disappear and, in some places, insects becoming less abundant, which is why natural history collections are more important than ever. Only through these vast and well curated collections can we document where species were found in the past, whether they are still there now, and if their ranges and abundances are changing through time.

One of my goals as the Director and Curator of the Cornell University Insect Collection is to find opportunities to make CUIC an even more dynamic and utilized resource for students and researchers from around the world. To accomplish this goal, I will establish programs to support undergraduate and graduate students working in the collection, provide opportunities for researchers from around the world to visit the collection for their research, and find ways to support expeditions to help grow our important scientific collection. If you would like to support our work, please consider giving to CUIC. I would also be happy to discuss options on how to make your gift have the biggest impact.

As many of you know CUIC is an amazing place and I invite you all to visit anytime. And mark your calendars because the Cornell University Insect Collection turns 150 years old in 2021. There will be several opportunities to celebrate with us so watch your inboxes and follow our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. and I look forward to celebrating with all of you soon!

Thank you,
Dr. Corrie Moreau
Martha N. and John C. Moser Professor of Arthropod Biosystematics and Biodiversity
Director & Curator of the Cornell University Insect Collection

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team at the Cornell Insect Collection.

Your information is kept private and we promise not to bug you!

You have successfully subscribed!